Welcome back all of our children and families! We hope you have all had a fantastic summer break. It has been wonderful to hear about all of the children’s adventures and we are all very proud of how the children have settled into the Year 1 routine.
This week we started learning about our topic of Houses and Homes. The children have looked at the different part of a house and are discovering that there are many different types of houses. You could talk about what type of home you live in with your child and compare with the houses you pass on the way to school. It would be great if children could bring in a photograph or drawing of their house to show to their class.
In English we have been reading ‘Each Peach, Pear, Plum’ by Janet and Allan Ahlberg. We have been talking about the characters we recognise from other stories and rhymes as well as using our knowledge of sounds to spot rhyming words.
In Maths we have been practising our number recognition as well as counting to 100. We are learning how to form our numbers carefully. You could practise writing numbers to 30 at home, making sure that they all face the correct way. We have also started to learn some of our Year 1 number facts, thinking about doubles to 10, which are as follows:
We have a very busy and exciting week ahead planned. Amongst other things, we will be:
- Exploring and making toys from the past.
- Exploring the differences between homes from the present and past.
- Using our knowledge of the alphabet to form lower case and capital letters.
- Learning about the place value of two-digit numbers and ordering numbers to 30 and beyond.
- Investigating different types of wild and garden plants.
– Year One PE is on Friday. Children will need to come to school in their PE kits, long hair needs to be tied up and earrings must be removed (If earrings cannot be removed please send tape/plasters that can cover them).
– A KS1 parent meeting will be taking place on Wednesday 21st September at 9am in the main hall. We look forward to seeing you there.
Have a great weekend
The Year 1 Team