Dear Parents and Carers,
You may have heard announcements about the new Multiplication Tables Check that are being introduced for all children currently in Year 4. To assist you in understanding the process, and be able to help prepare your child, we have created an information sheet to help you.
· Maths is a vast subject and there is much more to it than times tables…and there is certainly more to times tables than learning them off by heart! However, a lot of the rich, interesting maths is about the multiplicative relationships and these are hard to grasp without a fluent recall of tables facts. Learning multiplication tables is fundamental to success in mathematics; they are a key facilitator and form the foundations to the maths that follows.
· The checks are compulsory from 2022 so current Year 4 pupils will be the first cohort to take them in the summer term of 2022.
· The results of the check will not be publicised; they are not intended for the comparison of pupils but instead for school to reflect upon so that provision for individuals is maximised.
· The questions will only be multiplication and they will check knowledge of a range of facts up to 12 × 12. The checks are all about remembering the multiplication facts; there is nothing complicated about the questions and they do not require problem solving.
· The check has been designed so that it is inclusive and accessible to as many children as possible, including those with special educational needs or disabilities. The questions are relatively simple, age appropriate and the length of the check, which is carried out on a computer, is under 5 minutes.
· The check is an on-screen check consisting of 25 times table questions. Pupils will answer 3 practice questions before taking the actual check. They will then have 6 seconds to answer each question.
· We help children to learn times tables in school, through daily sessions and homework tasks however there are lots more opportunities for home learning. If you are practising with your child please enjoy the opportunity to work together.
Here are some ways that you can help your child….
Times tables are learned best when practised regularly and in short bursts. At Newsham, we use ‘Times Tables Rock Stars’ to help learn multiplication and division tables. This interactive tool is a fun way of learning times table facts, as well as being highly addictive! The children are able to play against friends, classes and teachers.
The ‘Sound Check’ area of the TTRS website has been designed specifically to support the Year 4 Multiplication Tables Check. Please click the ‘Times Tables Rock Stars’ link to take you to the pupil login area: https://play.ttrockstars.com/auth/school/student/
Here are some other useful websites for practising times tables and how to help children learn their tables:
https://www.timestables.co.uk/ a range of games to practise specific tables or a mixture up to 12 x 12
https://www.teachingtables.co.uk/ a range of games to practise specific tables or a mixture up to 12 x 12
https://www.whizz.com/blog/fun-ways-to-teach-times-tables/ some fun ways to help children learn times tables
https://www.timestables.co.uk/multiplication-tables-check/ Multiplication Tables Check
If you have any questions or wish to discuss any of the above, please do not hesitate to contact Mrs. Atkinson or your child’s class teacher.
Mrs. W Atkinson